Stop syncing Disabled user accounts into the VMware Workspace ONE Access – Directory Sync

6 Sep

We had many Disabled accounts that were getting synced into the Workspace ONE Access (WoA) from the Directory Sync – Active Directory with IWA operation. The challenge here been no standards to cater for Disable accounts in the Active Directory. I decided to stop syncing the disabled accounts into WoA. Thanks for the exclusion filter feature that came in handy, and the following are the detailed steps.

  • Exclusion filter to stop syncing the Disabled accounts
  • Safeguards adjustment (Optional)
  • Why did we had to stop syncing Disable accounts?

Exclusion filter to stop syncing the Disabled accounts

Login to your WoA portal with administrative privileges and go to the following path – Identity & Access Management –> Directories –> Select the Directory with Active Directory & IWA –> Sync Settings –> Users

Add the filter to exclude the disabled users:

userAccountControl – contains – 514
Note – 514 = Disabled Accounts

userAccountControl – contains – 66050
Note – 66050 = Disabled, Password Doesn’t Expire

Note – I found this helpful blog which described all the UAC attributes/values in detail – UserAccountControl Attribute/Flag Values | Jack Stromberg

WoA – Users

The above will take care of not syncing the Disable user accounts into the WoA directory. However, in our scenario, the number of disable accounts were very high, and the Safeguards kick-in to protect mass deletion.

Safeguards Adjustment (Optional)

This is an optional step depending on your environment. It might need tweaking, and I am highlighting the values that need to be tweaked if it involves mass deletion (Note – these values are for experimental purposes only). Note – Please switch the value back to default after the mass deletion activity is completed. The Safeguards feature a real blessing to control WoA Directory Sync accidents against any human/automation errors.

WoA – Safeguards

Why we had to stop syncing disable accounts?

I ran into an issue where-in users had multiple accounts with 1 active/1 disabled. The email address attributes were the same in both the accounts, which will have a conflict when the end-user tries to login. This becomes evident once we switched our identity to 3rd party IDP – Azure Active Directory, where the primary NAMEID attribute is the email address.

I hope you will find these steps helpful to stop syncing disabled accounts into WoA Access – Directory Sync.

Thanks,
Aresh Sarkari

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: