This blog post is in continuation of my part 1 – Mindmap – Part 1 – Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD) – Quick start guide to virtual desktop/applications | AskAresh where we look at deploying the AVD solution. In this post, I want to share my learnings with you all around the management and #Day2 aspects of AVD. We shall take a look into the following topics:
- Mind map – Managing Azure Virtual Desktop
- Scale Out – Add extra Host (VM) to the Host Pools
- Lifecycle – Update your Master Image – Shared Image Gallery aka Azure compute galleries
- Drain the old Session Host VM
- Automatically Power ON the Session host Virtual Machines
- Monitoring Azure Virtual Desktop
Mindmap for Managing Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD)
I have managed to document all the high-level steps involved in managing the AVD on an ongoing basis. The idea here is that the mindmap acts as an excellent visual representation of what to do during ongoing maintenance activities. You can figure out in advance the requirements/steps and pre-requisites.
Disclaimer – This guide is a get you started guide, and the production management may vary. Please make sure you always reference Microsoft documentation. Here is the PDF version if you would like to download and zoom in (Don’t stress your eyes!) –
I hope you will find this helpful information on your Managing Azure Virtual Desktop journey. Please let me know if I have missed any steps in the mindmap, and I will be happy to update the post.